Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"Just Another Day," A Self-fulfilling Prophecy

Today, Richie and I take note of the fact that 30 years ago we were married, having dated for two years before marrying.  (Thank you.)

But for 30 years of birthdays, Richie has always replied to my question about what he wanted to do/celebrate his with "Nothing, It's Just Another Day."  So I did it back to him re the anniversary.  Many of you may be nodding to yourselves and thinking, "There won't be a 31st..."

The funny thing about this is, it IS just another day.  Richie and I often go out for dinner; we occasionaly go out for breakfast as we did this morning and our lives are, generally speaking, quite peaceful.  We don't even fight that often and when we do exchange heated words, it's the type of situation that is an irritant, not a major death blow to the relationship.   

Today is the monthly meeting at noon, which lasts until 1 or 1:30 p.m.  Normally I would go visit a friend on Tuesday afternoons from 2 to 3 p.m. but her husband is in the hospital after a stroke last Wednesday.  Richie's got the dishwasher running right now.  A very normal day.

I also resent the fact that Hallmark expects me to buy a card to tell my husband that I love him.  God gave me a mouth; I can use it for a great deal less than $3.50.   In fact, after breakfast we did hit the card store for a bereavement card and I slipped in an anniversary card (because he gave me one with coffee and the newspapers this morning.) 

When I pulled out my money to pay for these items, he said, "No, I've got it" and I said, "You're not going to pay for your own anniversary card!" and he said,  indignantly, "You don't have to buy me a card!"  So I said, "Okay, read it and I'll put it back!"  He did, I did and that was that. 

He was happy, I was happy and the hell with Hallmark!

No comments: