Monday, January 4, 2010

A Roving Mind

I was reading Lois Battle's "Bed and Breakfast" which is set in Beaufort, SC. I remembered that we'd been there in 1996. Hint: Beaufort is not pronounced "Bow-fort" as you'd expect, but "Bew-fert" instead. Just in case you have to ask directions.

I may very well be hazy on some of the details that follow, but, Your Honor, to the best of my recollection... We flew into Savannah, toured around (more of which later) and then drove north to Charleston, stopping in Perris Island and Beaufort (which ever comes first on the map) on the way.

Perris Island did have a guard at the front gate of a two lane road, but with no trouble at all, we were allowed to drive up and then back down the main road. We passed a sign on one of the buildings that read "Cake icing lessons - Tuesday, 4/25.) I cannot imagine a Marine icing a cake. Just wouldn't happen.

We passed a black drill sergeant marching his guys. Ramrod posture, his uniform impecable in every detail. He was screaming at the top of his lungs at them! I yelled to Richie, 'That's it! In my next life I want to be a drill sergeant!" Happily, the a/c was on and the windows rolled up.

We had lunch in Beaufort. Waitresses in pastel uniforms with white aprons and lacy handkerchiefs in their breast pockets cooed. Mine gestured at my iced tea glass and inquired, "Would you like me to freshen that up for you, darlin'?"

Beaufort is a charming little town, perched picturesquely along a cliff top overlooking the water. You could easily tell it was an old town by the construction - short, brick buildings for commercial use and enormous mansions (many of which are bed and breakfast places.)

All in all, we found it "nice" but we wanted more action. We returned to Savannah and discovered a positive hotbed of intrigue, drunks, stories and excitement.

No comments: