Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Git Outta the Car, Miss Daisy - I'M Driving Now!

The neurosurgeon who treated me for a viral ridiculitis of the iliac femoral nerve forbade me to drive. That was in mid-October! I haven't had the wheel in my hands till today! Now I can go back to real power! Run like you never ran before! I'm baaack!

I've been driving for 57 years (minus three months) and it all felt exactly the same. And it should -- my Toyota half-ton pick-up truck has been mine for 22 years. (By the way, I have 68,500 miles on it, too. You wouldn't believe the number of Mexican gardeners who've offered me cash on the spot for her. But Truck is Not For Sale.)

And I'm a good driver. I've never had a moving violation-- well that one, but I went to court and sorted that officer out! -- just the odd parking ticket here and there, dotted down the years.

It is raining (again) Aviation (a major street we use all the time) is being repaved and there are orange cones all over the road -- it was a great day to get back behind the wheel! Challenges! God it feels good! Let freedom ring!

No comments: