Wednesday, January 20, 2010

R.I.P.

Robert B. Parker
September 17, 1932 - January 18, 2010
It was with considerable shock that I read in this morning's paper that Robert B. Parker was dead. A friend in East Texas later remarked that it was like losing a friend. These remarks are to give you a small sense of his fans' idolatry that propelled him into serious numbers as one of America's best and most prolific authors.
Most notable of his books was the "Spenser" series, set in Boston. Spenser was kind of a Man of La Mancha non-hero. He was a semi-thug, private detective. His sidekick was a black guy named Hawk (Sancho Panchez?) Spenser was "born" in 1971 and more than 37 books followed.
The Jesse Stone series ran to nine books; the Sunny Randal series follows at six. Altogether Parker wore more than 60 books.
Parker has said, 'I don't rewrite; I don't write a second draft. When I'm finished, I don't re-read. (Wife) Joan reads it to make sure I haven't committed a public disgrace and, if I haven't, I send it in and then I begin the next book." Parker wrote up to 10 pages per day.

Joan was the light of his life. Every one of his multitude of books was dedicated to her. He once said, "I'd rather be her husband and their father (sons David and Daniel) than "Robert B. Parker."

Mr. Parker, you were both.

No comments: