Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Bliss of Scratching an Itch

For a couple of days, I've been envisioning a Bloody Mary at Joe's Crab Shack. They make the best ever! They use Demetrius in their tomato juice and that is fine stuff. The Demetrius brand is available at Bev-Mo; I've got a bottle sitting in our refrigerator. It adds a bit of heat, but not the sensation that, suddenly, your mouth has turned into a boiling-hot spa.

It's also only 13% salt and most commercial mixes are from 45 to 60% salt.

When I broached the idea of dining there, Richie took it under advisement briefly and then said, "Sure."

Joe's Crab Shack, 230 Portofino Way, Redondo Beach 90277 310-406-1999 joescrabshack.com

We were early (but still service was languid) and were given a booth. During the daylight hours, Joe's has an enviable view of the ocean and shoreline. At night, there are just twinkling city lights to distract you.

I got my Bloody ($6.29) and Richie a bud ($3.89.) He ordered the crab cake dinner ($18.49) and I a featured dish called "Shells on Ice" ($17.99) which consisted of eight peel 'n eat shrimp, four snow crab legs and three hefty lobster claws, served in a tin bucket (it leaked) packed with ice. Cocktail sauce, lemons and drawn butter (after I asked for it) on the side.

I was so engrossed in picking the meat out of the shells, that I didn't even look at Richie's plate of crab cakes! Snow crab legs are tough -- the meat is shreddy, like coconut. I found myself eating single shreds that had attached themselves to my finger tips. The peel 'n eat shrimp were easy and the lobster meat came out in single, succulent pieces. A very direct contrast to snow crab legs. I spent a great deal of time over dinner. Richie was long done by the time I threw in the towel and asked for a take-home box.

But am I going to have a luxurious lunch today! No Bloody Mary needed; I had one yesterday.

No comments: