Monday, January 18, 2010

Clown Doctors

Not as in, "My doctor, that clown ..." No it was an article in Sunday's Parade that described how beneficial it can be to have visiting clowns in pediatric wards.

The article referenced an report in Pediatric Anesthesia that said that a clown visit just prior to surgery "can significantly alleviate pre-operative anxiety." This intrigued me so I Googled the article.

But, what ho! The clowns must have had significant training in such as pyschology of pain, therapy and communicating with patients (as well as juggling, whatever.) Thus, well-meaning uncles and grandpas probably need not apply. "Real" clown doctors have to recognize boundaries -- let the child invite you into the room; don't be overly familiar with the child or the parents, and involve the child in play in which he is the game controller. Children are overwhelmed by hospitals -- it's a brand-new world where strangers touch you and take you places you've never been, often without a parent for emotional sustenance.

The University of Haifa, Israel, offers the world's first academic degree in "medical clowning," but after checking their course schedule, I couldn't find it.

Clown doctors are found in the US, UK, Canada, Brazil and Australia.

But please! Not anywhere near my bedside! I am terrified of clowns and have been since childhood. Weird-looking dudes ... they don't mean me any good! Even as an adult, when the clowns come out at the circus, I close my eyes (peeping occasionally to make sure the clowns are at a distance) while Richie laughs appreciatively. Incidentally, scholars, the fear of clowns is officially called "coulrophopbia."

No comments: