Monday, August 5, 2013

A Brief Discourse on the Uptick in Popularity of the Korean Dish Kim Chi

It is widely discussed is kim chi because it is something of an acquired taste.  I know people who won't stay in the same room with it; others who like it. 

I bought a jar at the supermarket to go along with tonight's pulled pork.  Joe Kim's Kim Chee to be exact - the label says salted Chinese cabbage, water, ginger, garlic, chili peppers, paprika and MSG (which I haven't even heard of since 1973.)  Perhaps it's also an acquired taste because it's expensive.  $7-something for a 12-oz. jar is expensive to me. 

To start you into kim chi gently, let's add some alcohol!

KIM CHI BLOODY MARY
Puree two cups packed kim chi
Add 46 oz. tomato juice
1/4 cup sriracha (hot sauce)
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T sherry vinegar

Fine strain this into a bowl and throw away the solids.
Chill thoroughly and then add 2 cups vodka to the juice and serve.
Makes 8 drinks - thought I'd better add that bit of information because two cups of vodka would put me on the floor.

To make your own kim chi, check epicurious.com for a recipe

No comments: