Friday, June 14, 2019

Of Thomas Jefferson and Ice Cream; Puns and Groans

The July issue of A Taste of Home contains a recipe for what is purportedly (by them) to be Jefferson's own for Vanilla Ice Cream.

The 4th of July is striding into view and a truly American dessert to celebrate our history might include it.

THOMAS JEFFERSON'S VANILLA ICE CREAM
2 quarts heavy whipping cream (invite your cardiologist to your party)
1 cup sugar (ditto dentist)
1 vanilla bean (banker for a loan)  or 1 Tbsp. of extract.
6 large egg yolks

Combine the cream and sugar and add a split vanilla bean to that.  Heat until bubbles form around the pan sides.  Stir to dissolve the sugar.

Put the 6 egg yoks in a separate pan and gradually beat the hot mixture into them.  Then when all is blended mix together with remaining hot cream and sugar.  Cook over low heat until it's thick enough to coat your spoon.   Pour whole thing into a bowl and set it on a larger container full of ice.  Cover this dish and put in the freezer overnight.

Next morning, put it into an ice cream maker and whir away.   Serve with pride and a tip of your baseball hat to Thomas Jefferson!

Puns and Groans

Will glass coffins be a success?  Remains to be seen.

I have renamed my iPod  The Titanic so that when I plug it in, it says The Titanic Is Syncing

I was wondering why the ball kept getting bigger when it hit me in the face

"I have a split personality," said Tom; "I'm being frank."

Kleptomaniacs take everything literally.

I have a few jokes about unemployment, but none of them work …

I lost my job at the bank on my first day.  A woman asked about her balance, so I pushed her over.

Note to readers: please don't hate me because I did the above.  boredpanda.com did 100 of them!




No comments: