Friday, March 1, 2019

But What Happened Then?

I read yesterday's column on Eleanor Roosevelt and Lorena Hickock to the Thurs. Writers (aka South Bay Writers Workshop.com ) and all five of them were interested in Amy Bloom's book White Houses, a real tribute to Bloom and nothing to do with me.  I ran the obit info on two of FDR's squeezes (Lucy Mercer and Missy LeHand) and clearly they also wanted  Eleanor and Hick's information.

Very well.

From one of the last scenes in the book.  Eleanor is visiting Hick in her New York apartment and they are reminiscing.

Hick relates what Eleanor said to her during this last visit ever.  They are sitting in Hick's kitchen, chairs pulled close together.    "Do not make me cry.  Do not come to visit me.  …  I am going to think of us under this tree.  ...and under that beautiful tree in Maryland.  Those cherry blossoms all over us?  That's what I'll be thinking of."

Eleanor Roosevelt  born October 11, 1884
Died November 7, 1962 of cardiac failure complicated by tuberculosis and aplastic anemia,  in New York with family around her.  She is buried in the Rose Garden in Hyde Park.

Lorena Hickock was born March 7, 1893
Died March 1, 1968, of diabetes, blind in one eye and plagued by arthritis.

No comments: