Saturday, March 30, 2019

Bad Rehearsal; Good Performance

A theatre adage I am told.  Well tonight ought to blow them out of their seats, based on it.  Or so my fellow performers may believe.  Certainly we all want to believe it.

Once we were all present, the producer gave us a tour of the theatre - three short steps up to the stage,  shove aside a dark green velvet-y looking curtain - and step down from small landing behind it and three shallow steps down to the Green Room.  We are to sit there, make no noise, and pop up when it's our turn.  I'm #3 in the line-up.
Last night was clearly the first time we'd all met and we all shook hands as we introduced ourselves to one another.  One runs ShareHopeUSA, a non-profit organization to feed the souls of homeless and sick children.  Another is our 4th District Councilman, and an 85 year old stand-up comedian, a retired pastor .   Despite his age, he worked the stage more.than any of the rest of us!

A retired teacher, turned actress who told a wonderful story about Marrying Off Aunt Ada at a time when social mores dictated that the oldest daughter married first and then the remaining sisters were allowed to marry.  Things were certainly different in Olden Days.

First thing we did was, following the line-up posted, we read the first couple of sentences and the last couple of the sentences which was to give the saxophonist (who transitioned us and set apart each act).  This is called a "cue to cue" technic for getting through an 8 minute piece in no time at all.  "Good," I thought - I haven't eaten since 11 a.m.!  Imagine my dismay when the producer said with relish, all but rubbing his hands together - "Now we'll do a full rehearsal!" and visions of dinner flitted out the door. If you ever do this - eat first!  Particularly as rehearsal started at 6 p.m. and what with one thing and another, lasted until 8:40 p.m.

A stage (other than  stage coach) is new territory to me.  Most disconcerting to me was reading along, looking up from time to time, as instructed - only to be met by a  white light which blinded me just long enough to lose my place in the manuscript.  After, when the producer asked for our notes, and one mentioned the lighting, I yelled out, "I was ready to confess! I did it!  I did it!!"

My performance should be better tonight since we had this rehearsal.  Entry points, exits and where everything is.  Familiarity breeds relaxed nerves and now mine should be.  Otherwise go to the bathroom or sneak out for a cigarette when you see me appear.  I'll signal you with a throat cutting gesture.  Run!

No comments: