Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Walker-ing

When I was discharged from the hospital, I was offered my choice of a walker or a cane. For a steadier base, I took the walker.  I needed four legs as a base, not to tangle my feet up with a cane.

In the beginning, I was simply delighted to have mobility of a sort again.  As the exercises progressed and I got stronger, I began to want to be more helpful.  Instead of asking Richie, "Can you hand me - this, that, the other thing?"  I wanted independence.

But the problem is that you need both hands on the walker handles.  Small things - ziplock bags make wonderful, albeit small purses.  You can pinch one with your fingers and still use the handle bars.

Supermarket bags are handier for bigger or bulkier items - books for example.

Cross chest purses or back packs are worked able, too.

Graduation?  No walker at all!

No comments: