Tuesday, May 26, 2015

By page 121, I was Rooting For The Hero to Die

"The Panther" by Nelson DeMille  $27.99  625 pages of nonsense

The "hero" I so despised is named John Corey, now an Anti-Terrorist Task Force agent, married to the unfortunate Kate Mayfield, an FBI agent.  You may have read of their previous adventures.

This particular plotline is:  John killed a major terrorist called The Lion.  A new player called The Panther wants revenge.  He is an American-born convert to Islam.

The US sees this Panther as a threat and dispatches John and Kate to Yemen to deal with him.  So far, so good.

But the reason I wanted John to die is that he is a New York smartass.  He believes his asides and witticisms to be pure gold and they are anything but.  Infantile, peural and quite snide - or so he thinks.  Further these remarks are all remarkably predictable.

I never dreamed I'd root for the terrorists but ... the exception proves the rule.

No comments: