Saturday, February 21, 2015

Being Saucy

The Banh Mi Handbook" by Andrea Nguyen  Tenspeed Press  125 pages   $16.95

Banh Mi is pronounced  "bun me" and I needed to learn that because have been saying "Ban-me" which most restaurants are happy to do. 


In addition to all kinds of fillings for these Thai sandwiches, Nguyen also gives recipes for pickling the carrots and daikon found in one. 

As well as this:  the first egg-less home made mayonnaise recipe I'd ever seen.  Silken tofu substitutes for the egg.  A bottled sauce called "Maggi" can be made at home by your own loving little  fingers.

MOCK MAGGI SAUCE
1/2 cup Bragg Liquid Aminos
1 T sugar. 

I'd rather go with - SPICY HOISIN SAUCE
6 T Thai sweet chili sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 T unseasoned rice wine vinegar
2 T regular soy sauce

Mix, pour into a container and store in the refrigerator.  I'd also use this sauce on shrimp gyozo.  I like Thai signature spices - garlic, chili, lemongrass, ginger...

And now I'm hungry.


No comments: