Friday, January 2, 2015

Letting Food & Wine Burn My Fingers

Site motto:  I read this stuff so you won't have to wade through it all. 

The cover intrigued me as it's a photo of a stack of grilled sandwiches on a plate.  The caption states that they are Grilled Cheese with pecans and pepper jelly by Chef Vivian Howard.

This vision made me want one because I'm a fool for grilled sandwiches.  I had to make do with no pecans (no loss) and to substitute Jalapeno-Cranberry sauce for the pepper jelly.  Why, yes, I did use Velveeta for the cheese.  How else can you  make a grilled cheese sandwich anyhow?

Yes, it was good.  And I'm now thinking grilled cheese with sauerkraut and a dill pickle ... Velveeta has a sweet taste.

Another and much more fanciful entry in the grilling sweepstakes was Grilled Chocolate Sandwiches with Caramel Sauce.  To spiff it up, the editors include directions for making a chocolate ganache and the caramel sauce which calls for something called "heavy cream" which I haven't seen personally since 1946. 

These easier thing to do is to grill both sides of two slices of which bread and "butter" each slice with a heavy chocolate syrup and garnish them with swizzles of caramel from a jar of caramel sauce, findable next to where the supermarket keeps the ice cream.

Bon Appetit!  Oops, wrong magazine.  My bad (giggle.)

No comments: