Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Fred (the cat) Is Not a Deadbeat Dad

  
 
 
 
We went to the pet food/items store on a Saturday, both of us having forgotten that Saturdays are Cat Adoption days.  On the way to the cash register, Richie spied a long line of tiered cages with felines of every description.
 
Excitedly, he waved me forward to show me something.  I had been lagging behind, studying a display of cat clothing and letting my mind wander through such thoughts as, "Who on earth would dress up their cat?  "And to what purpose?"  Swiftly followed by "Manufacturers make a living selling belly-close cat outfits?"
 
Knowing full well that all three of our cats would rip them off - and then eat them - I went to Richie.  He was in line to pay and  pointed at the second cage from the front.  I glanced over and saw a tuxedo kitten, busily playing with something in his cage.  I smiled at it.  Richie took the paid-for food and we went to the car.
 
But ... since what we assumed to be Fred's mother lives on the next block over, and since Fred didn't get spayed until he was seven months old, the thought nagged at me that this could be one of his offspring.
 
The following Saturday I insisted that we go back to the pet store and, if the kitten was still there, inquire about where  it had been found.  If it was north Redondo, we had a responsibility here...
 
 
This time there were TWO tuxedo cats waiting for homes.  I'd brought pictures of Fred to show the shelter ladies who run this event.  Gravely, they regarded them while I explained why I wanted to know what I did.  Gravely they looked at each other and then at the photos.  They also took another  good look at me and edged that much closer to the store doors. 
 
Meanwhile, I stepped up to the cages and took a look at what might or (please, God) not be Fred's offspring. 
 
I asked where they'd been found and one of them said, "Oh, Bitsy brought them in from downtown LA. she brings us lots of cats from there."  "Not Redondo Beach?" wanting to be sure.  "No!" they said in unison. 
 
So I had a good look at the kittens and saw that though they were tuxedo cats, they didn't have the same marked nose point that Fred does.  His facial markings are masklike, similar to a raccoon.  The sharply defined point makes his face resemble a fox's. 
 
I've privately decided no more trips to the pet store on a Saturday.  If Fred sired a family, they're on their own.  Just like he was. 
 
 
 
 

No comments: