Monday, February 17, 2014

You Never Know What You'll Get In the Mail...

After yesterday's delivery, I was surprised to get what looked like a personal note from a woman up the street from us.   What on earth could I have done to her to warrant a personal message?  We don't have a dog so it couldn't be a barking complaint... 

 We park our cars properly in the driveway when they've been left out...and parking on our street is willy-nilly with cars at odd angles in the owner's driveways...

I don't go out and get the morning papers improperly dressed; in fact, I don't go out at all - Richie does.

One way to find out so I opened the pale blue envelope.  Inside was a printed note with "Dear Mrs. Murphy" scrawled on top of it.  The note started out, "I'm proud to help the March of Dimes give babies a healthy start as a volunteer in a very special neighborhood event known as Mother's March.  And I'm sending you this note to ask for your help."

I burst out laughing.  I am 73 years old and extremely unlikely to start producing babies.  I have been fortunate enough to have never had children.

The rest of the message was all about helping our community to fight premature birth, bringing and keeping healthy babies in our midst.  If you ever go to the Friday Hermosa Beach Farmers Market you will readily see  baby after baby in Volkswagen-sized prams, strollers and push chairs.  To say the least, they are robust looking. 

The March of Dimes really missed the mark here.  Or else my neighbor is running a scam of quite brazen proportions!  Recipients are asked to write a check, payable to the March of Dimes, and return it to her in the enclosed envelope.  Let me use my Mickey Mouse checkbook for that check...

IN OTHER NEWS  Today the Daily Breeze ran the "My Turn" column I wrote.  If you want to see it, Google     "Why do we write?  Everyone tells a different story" and it should pop right up.  It did when I tested it. 

No comments: