Tuesday, February 18, 2014

So, These Two Mules Go To Baskin-Robbins...

That is not the lead-in to a joke.  On the other hand, maybe it is...

It all started at the supermarket.  They were selling two pints of Haagen Daz ice cream for $7.  Richie took a chocolate and I a Dulce de Leche. 

Back in the car, we drove on into Riviera Village to have a look at the ocean.  Without any warning, he suddenly swerved the car into the Baskin-Robbins parking lot.  In astonishment -- I did, after all, have two pints of ice cream chilling my feet in the sack of groceries -- "Why on earth do you want to go here?" I asked.

"Coupons" he replied succinctly.

"But we just bought two pints of ice cream"

"I know, but the coupons will run out."

"But I don't WANT ice cream!  We just bought ice cream!"

"C'mon," he said, parking and shutting off the engine.

(Mutinously) "I want a sundae then." 

He fumbled with a wad of coupons and said, "I don't have the sundae one with me; left it at home, but look," thrusting a coupon at me, "Buy one for the regular price and get the second one for only 99 cents."

I heard a voice that sounded remarkably like my own say, "If I can't have what I want, I don't want anything at all." 

Richie looked at me.  I looked him right in the eye and said, "Go ahead, get what you want," making shooing gestures. 

He didn't say another word, just got out of the car (and didn't bang the door) and disappeared into the Baskin-Robbins.  Time passed and the door opened gingerly and out he came - with a cup of ice cream in each hand!  He walked up to the car, set one cup on the car roof, opened the door, retrieved the cup from the roof and got into the car. 

"You've got to be kidding!"  I said, "You're going to eat two full cups of ice cream?"

"Yep," he grinned and began plying his spoon busily in the first cup of ice cream.

"Two can play that," I thought and opened the sack of groceries, rootled around and pulled out the Dulce de Leche and then the spare spoon in the as-yet-uneaten cup and began nibbling at the Dulce de Leche, tracing the thread of caramel. 

Two mules in quiet enjoyment, eating their ice cream. 

No comments: