Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Universality of Food for Celebrations

This could be filed under "Random Thoughts" but I got to thinking this morning and found that there are no US national holidays that don't involve food! 

Valentine's Day - dinner out and a box of chocolates.  Or not.
Easter - ham
Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day - everyone outdoors for a barbecue!
Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve - belly up to the table! 

And I wondered why this is so.  I finally decided that celebrating with free food and drink for guests must go back to the Bible when a "fatted calf" was killed to celebrate a return of the so-called prodigal son. 

And it's not just us - while doing research, I found various celebrations all over the world - and the recipes for making holiday-specific dishes! 

I've read that an army travels on its stomach.  Clearly the rest of us celebrate at the dinner table. 

No comments: