Friday, November 12, 2010

Bits & Bobs

"I Can Get It Wholesale"
I really enjoyed a glass of Zonin Prosecco at Tin Roof Bistro the other day. Crisply cold, tons of vertical spiraling bubbles ... Tin Roof prices it at $8/glass or $32/bottle which is 'way too rich for my blood. Next day we were in Trader Joe's and on a whim, I went to look at their wine stock. Zonin Prosecco $16.99/bottle.

Still the Same
Seven months ago, new owners took over the venerable Rosa's Mexican resto which has been right where it is since 1972. It's known for good, but inexpensive food. Longtime fans were outraged, horrified, you name it at the new owner news. We popped in yesterday and it's exactly the same. Same salsa, same break-em-up-yourself tortilla chips. We had a cheese enchilada and a beef taco apiece and the tab was $8. Rosa's, 322 Pacific Coast Hwy, Hermosa Beach 310-374-9094 Mon. - Thurs. 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Fri. Sat. Sun. 9 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.

Fit To Be Tied (up in a Straitjacket)
Tuesday morning I have an 8 a.m. dental appointment to replace two crowns and get a filling. Due to the fact that I fear dental tools and human proximity, I prefer to be sedated. The less I have to know the better.

My personal space is about 3 ft. away from any point in my body. If you move in next to me at 2 ft. 11 in. I am going to start edging away. I'm not physically affectionate; I was raised that way (sniff.) So having the dentist and a tech literally in my face is not pleasant.

Sedation instructions were: take a 10mg valium before you go to bed on the eve before - here's the Rx for that. At 6 a.m. take the "forgetter" pill - here, it's in this little envelope. Be there at 7 a.m. for a second forgetter and the commencement of work.

Excuse me? I have an 8 a.m. but I have to be there at 7 a.m.? Despite my having stressed (repeatedly) to personnel there that I am a writer and writers don't do diddly before 9 a.m. Deaf ears ... selfish personal agendas (theirs; certainly not mine!)

I dutifully took the valium Rx in to the pharmacy yesterday and picked it up this morning. The dentist had checked the 1 to 24 supply box on the Rx so I'm all happy, thinking I'm going to get a nice supply of Mother's Little Helpers (Rolling Stones.)

It was one pill and that one pill was $11.99.

The only thing I can do is spin this thing like a politician. My mantra is now: the work that's being fixed is 30 years old; I'm 70 years old, this is probably the last major dental work I'll ever have to have...

Still doesn't make up for the indignation of absolutely having to be up at 6 a.m. and in an office at 7 a.m.

No comments: