Monday, January 13, 2020

Rock'n Roll Writer - And Not Bad at That

"Me  Elton John" by Elton John  372 pages  $30

Richie is a great fan so I bought him the book for a Christmas present.  He plans to start it today (January 12th.)  He was reading something else and his motto is finish what you began.  Admirable, I suppose, but it also meant I could read it first so no harm no foul.

It's an interesting saga, a little too much music stuff in the front … music played, venues played, other performers (he adored most of them - in every way, ahem.)  I liked it for the anecdotes of the rich and renowned. When he saw Queen Elizabeth II slapping her nephew Margaret's son in the face for not doing her bidding - just little slaps - don't get all hinky - used to punctuate I Am The Queen You Do Not Disobey Me.  When he ran out of the room to check on his sister as ordered, she turned to Elton and winked.

He was also tight with Princess Diana, which will be remembered at her funeral, playing a version of "Candle in the Wind" rewritten by Bernie Taupin to laud her.  Became a worldwide hit and he put the royalties in his Elton AIDs charity.

He and Giorgio Armani were best friends,  Armani's murder gutted him.

 A tour with Tina Turner and Elton fell through after she called him to say "how awful I was and how I had to change before we could work together.  She didn't like my hair, she didn't like the color of my piano - which for some reason had to be white - and she didn't like my clothes.  You wear too much Versace, and it makes you look fat.  You have to wear Armani," she announced."

Juicy tidbits like this, spicing up the narrative are largely what made the latter part of the book a delight to me.

I am shallow.  I have no pressing need to learn what my betters are up to and why.  Hey!  They sold the book!   Don't look at me!

No comments: