Saturday, August 11, 2018

What Are Those Words? That's the Tune To ...

Since French is the only other language I speak, when our instructor, the late Arlette Nelson, made us study French songs with "American" tunes, I was … somewhat confused.

My head began to really spin when she explained that that all of the tunes we were hearing originated in France.  I thought, "Tell that to Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darin .."  Who, since they were musicians probably knew this, but I didn't.

Examples:
"My Way,"  "And now the end is near and I face the final curtain..."
"Comme d'habitude" or "As Usual"  Opening line "I get out of bed and I bump into you; it doesn't wake you up - as usual."

"La Mer" Charles Trenet singing for your pleasure … "We see the dancingwaves along the shores of clean bays"
Bobby Darin "The Sea"  "Somewhere, beyond the sea, somewhere waiting for me, my lover stands on golden sands and …"

Really diametrically opposed:
The Crystals' Da Do Ron Ron:  "Met him on a Monday and my heart stood still..."
Johnny Hallyday and Sylvia Vartan's version of "Da Dou Ron Ron" "When love goes 'Goodbye,' all is finished..."

Give the French a chance to be melancholy, regretful, victim of love, dying of love … and they'll take it every time.  Poor things.  Pauvre choses.

No comments: