Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Catering to Yacht Owners - And The Rest of Us

You don't have to own a yacht to eat at Cap'n Kidd's.  Conveniently located near the Redondo Beach Marina, at 209 W. Harbor Drive, Cap'n Kidd's offers take-out ready to eat or take-out ready to take home and cook.  If you elect to swing a leg over a bench and eat at one of the heavy-duty picnic tables, you will be facing the parking lot and beyond that a vast swoop of furled sails,

Though roofed and walled, all of the windows are generally kept open so that sea breezes can cool your fevered brow in the summer.  In the winter, bring a sweater.

However, yacht or no, lobster is a menu item that strikes fear into the heart of the wallet; (Billfolds practically quiver in fear in pocketbooks) to me at least.  "Market price" can - and in some cases probably does - mean, fork over the next mortgage payment, baby - you're gonna pay for this!

But this morning, I am caroling with glee as I have discovered a source of damned near "free lobster" which is (drum roll) the lobster roll at Cap'n Kidds.  $13.99 for a grilled roll, literally stuffed and over-flowing with lobster meat.  I quit counting after I discovered six meaty claws waiting to be devoured.

The occasion was the monthly dinner meeting of friends that go back 35 years, since we all first met in the same apartment complex.  "D" eying my lobster roll, said, "During my walk yesterday, I passed Chef Melba's Bistro (1501 Hermosa Avenue, Hermosa) and she's offering two-pound lobsters for $55 right now."  I laughed and speared another claw and said, "Why would I pay that kind of money - look at all of this!" and continued gnawing my way through it.

I never thought I would say "Bargain Lobster!" but I am now.  Go for it!

No comments: