Friday, July 6, 2018

World Cup, White Folks and Beer - Country by Country

Richie is watching France vs. Uruguay, but at 9 a.m. it is a leetle early for a brewski.  In this household, at least.  If you set your alarm for 3:30 a.m. so as not to miss a golden moment, by God, you're entitled to one now!

For myself, I didn't know there was anything funny about this sport, until I fell into an old favorite Website of yore.  It is   stuffwhitefolkslike.com   It has always totally made fun of Caucasians in a gentle - and all too often true - way.  Middle income and up are skewered mercilessly.  Much to my delight as one.  I have roared with laughter - and recognition.  I recommend it for ALL races.

Today one of the featured articles is us and the World Cup.  Hilarious.  White Americans are usually not all that up on soccer.  And it shows.

This article led in turn to another Website   independent.co.uk   about drinking the beers of the country playing.  This is tremendously scholarly and the descriptions of the various offerings could have been written by a wine connoisseur, writing for the wines onboard your flight.  Only more so.

Richie reports in a bellow down the stairs from the living room that France beat Uruguay 2-nil.  I am glad, not only for our French family, but more than that, the gratitude that we don't have to explain a loss from a place called "Uruguay."  Too, too tempting to try something cute with "urinating" or worse.  

The articles cited above are not just me being lazy (always a possibility, admittedly) but the fact that they are so good that they deserve a deeper read rather than just the foam I could produce mentioning it.

No comments: