Saturday, April 21, 2018

4:45 p.m. London; 10:45 a.m. Houston

Queen Elizabeth II is celebrating her 92nd birthday today.  The gun salutes are probably over in - Hyde Park 41 guns!  Windsor Great Park - 21!  Tower of London - 62!

Barbara Bush, 92, is being laid to rest in solemn ceremony- the 11 a.m. service is about to start.  Honored guests include four former Presidents - her husband, her son, the Clintons and the Obamas.  Many other notables will be there, too, and I read the list with interest.  A pair of names caught my eye - Keith and Jon Meacham.  Given the Bush attitude toward same sex marriage I was surprised so I looked them up  Jon and hi wife Margaret Keith Smythe Meacham are hetero and have three children.  He is a historian, she a former executive director for Harlem Day Charter School.

The service is clearly expected to be finished by 12:15 p.m. as the cortege will leave at 12:40 p.m. for a private interment at the Presidential Library at 2:40 p.m.  "2:40 p.m. to go from a church to a graveyard?  What?  They're going to hit the drive-through at MacDonald's?"

Everyone but me knows that the Presidential Library is in College Station, TX. 95 miles away with an estimated driving time of one hour, 29 minutes.  I stand corrected (and embarrassed.)

Barbara Bush had a tremendously good sense of humor.  I wonder if it's possible to attend your own funeral in spirit if not life...and if Barbara Bush is also waiting to see if Hillary will find some steps to fall down and what Michelle Obama will be wearing.

I wish her Godspeed as I think of the utter sadness of her husband, in his wheelchair pushed by daughter Dorothy, gazing at the closed coffin.  What memories he must have.


No comments: