Monday, May 23, 2016

The Swiss Army Knife of the Dinner Table

The Swiss Army Knife is famed for the many uses it has and there are so many choices - with or without little tiny scissors ... tweezers or not ... my favorite accessory is a little tiny ivory-looking toothpick.  I like to visualize someone using it (preferably with a big, bushy beard.)  It would look like the user for reasons known only to himself is sticking a whole wad of metal in his mouth.  I am using the male here as women do not use toothpicks in public and very few of us use them in private.  Trust me, I have researched this and we all know I am rarely wrong and of course, when I am I never admit it.

This is far afield from the dinner table.  (Slight error) 

A dear friend down in Texas sent me a recipe for a dish so versatile that you can make meat balls or meatloaf or stuffed peppers with it.  If that's not handy, there are few things that are. 

THE USEFUL
Hamburger to fit how much you want to make - I think most of a pound would do it ...
1 egg
1/3 cup of catsup
1 cup oatmeal
1 medium onion, chopped and sautéed

Mix together thoroughly and shape for end product.

Sauce
1/2 cup catsup
1/4 cup vinegar
chopped onion
1 T dry mustard
3 T brown sugar
1 cup water

Boil together until sauce is the consistency you want it. 

Y'all hurry back, y'hear?  We're having stuffed peppers tomorrow night.


No comments: