Friday, December 25, 2015

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

The cards-in-the-mail didn't happen, but considering the opprobrium that snail mail is regarded, this shouldn't have been a surprise and it wasn't.  Instead, this morning's e-mails included one from a friend updating me on his news.  Jimsie and I have been friends since I was 18 and he was 28 and we were both cutting vast swathes of deviltry in Kansas City, MO.  

He wrote of his recent back surgery and mentioned that he is beginning to enjoy 24 hour home nursing.  He mentioned something about being spoiled and that he is finding that this is not a bad thing. 

I immediately countered with this charming directive -- "Shift your lazy ass and listen to my tale of woe!" whereupon I updated him on my on-going miseries in the hip department and I am not using "hip" as it was used in the '60s.

What I learned for my own self is that yes, older people DO discuss their health, most recent surgeries, outcomes thereof and so forth and so on and I learned it at the Thurs. Writers annual Christmas luncheon!

La the merry confidences, the bravery-overcomes-all reports.  I was shocked frankly to hear Richie and Laura having a cozy chat about her arthritis and Richie's recital of my hip woes!  Good heavens, even I don't go on and on about it!  (Which has to be a shock to many longtime readers.)   

All of the above is to serve as a gentle reminder as we head into 2016:  NEVER ask anyone over 60 how they're feeling, because by God, they'll tell you!

No comments: