Friday, September 18, 2015

Saving a Loved One's Hide

This is not a reference to getting beloved (but alcoholic) Uncle Harum-Scarum's butt out of jail. 

It is an article I ran into in dailymail.com/uk about a new way to save a remembrance of a deceased loved one.  It is a firm calling itself Save My Ink, dedicated to removing tattoos carefully from the deceased, preserving them and then tastefully framing them for the living room.

Many of you, like me, are tattoo virgins who would probably find the idea of peeling tattoos off of the pelt of family members appalling.  But tattoo artists and their subjects live in an alternative world that reveres them and, in fact, the more of you that is covered, the bigger a star you are.

To each his own.  But from a purely financial point of view, I wondered about the cost of, say, a full sleeve (shoulder to wrist) and whether this "keepstake" was worth preserving with future sales in mind.  "My brother left it to me, Darlene - I don't care if he was your father; it's mine -- unless you're willing to dig around in your purse and pay me for it ..."

So next I Googled tattoo costs (not with any tattooed family member in mind)  and discovered the following:

The tattoo artist generally charges between $75 to $150 per hour depending on the complexity of the design, the number of colors the projected piece requires and the quality of the skin to be tattooed. 

Other factors include the artist's degree of fame ("This is a Road Hog!") the amount of time he/she will require to create his/her masterpiece and the number of years the artist has been working.

I finally concluded that:  tattoo enthusiasts are "different" but they have every right to be.  If they want to spend their money on an Other art form, line up at the cash register!  They can have my spot in line and God bless'em.

No comments: