Wednesday, September 2, 2015

"I Love Paris in the ... " Winter Time?

Michelle and I have been best friends for more than 40 years.  Oddly enough we are no longer 20 and 31 as we were when we first became friends.  Let me say here that I am of the older of the two of us, but Michelle is at least 11 years older than I am in maturity.   "She was born old" as the French would say.  She is also very, very good at math and speaks four languages - French, English, German and Japanese.  I gave up competing long, long ago.

We have been trying to set a date for us to go see her in Le Chesney, a planned suburb next to Versailles - in fact, Marie Antoinette's "farm" is a 2 1/2 block walk from her front door.   She has walking problems and has had surgeries - ditto me.  In fact, she has a surgery date in November or early December.

So we decided on January, 2016 - our purchased tickets on Air France are good until March, 2016.

Many of you may be asking, "Why on earth would you go to Paris then?"  For a first-timer, I would probably agree.  But we have been to France numerous times - lately on average of every three years - and having seen France at various times of the year,   we can assure you that it is beautiful at all of the seasons.  I want to see Monet's gardens at Giverney - snow-covered dead flower stalks ... a certain melancholy balanced by the sure knowledge that beauty lies sleeping just below that surface. 

No comments: