Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Well ... That Didn't Take Long...

I'm referring to the fact that we had a local election of sorts and we finished at the gym and went to vote. 

I should explain that while our area is called "the beach cities" in fact, Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo all have their own officials - mayor, council members and proposals separate from each other.  We think nothing  of us all   going to a specific polling place and then going to the red table for Redondo or the blue table for Hermosa voting. 

This morning the vote lady handed me a ballot and said, "Don't forget to vote for Proposition B" and I looked down at her and said, "You aren't supposed to proselytize" rather sternly.

Quickly she back peddled and  flustered she said, "No, no!  I didn't say that!  The measure on B (holding out the ballot) is on the back page!  That's all!  I got my pronouns wrong!"

I still think she was trying to get my vote.  Useless as I am utterly opposed to Proposition B. 

On the other hand, she was genuinely embarrassed.

It was a very brief ballot - two people for Treasurer; 3 or 4 school board wannabes and Proposition B.  We were outta there in no time.  And for once the polling place was doing a brisk business.  For here.  Our usual voter turnout  is meager to say the least.  I look forward to tomorrow's newspaper to see just how many people did get off of their languid asses and vote. 

No comments: