Sunday, November 16, 2014

So ... I Promised You Lunch

The grand finale of the tour was the inspection of a "typical ($1,800) suite" which alert readers will remember from yesterday was a "Why bother?" with me.  Instead I retired to the hotel bar and was soon joined by Richie.  He ordered a Stella ($8) and I succumbed to the bar lady's insistence that I try the Magic Hat pumpkin ale (previously reviewed.)

We were soon joined by Sonny, Richie's old clamming buddy, who had completed the tour with the guest suite. 

We took our drinks and went through to the adjoining restaurant - a sea of snowy white tablecloths on tables set far enough apart that the billionaires could share various bits of chicanery and not be overheard.  It is a pretty room with high, high ceilings and equally tall windows.  I love this architectural period because in the 20s and 30s they built hell for stout.  It quietly pleases me to see steel-framed windows. 

As we unfolded our snowy white napkins a server appeared and put a small plate with a slice of toasted, grilled Tuscan ciabatta bread with a ladle of soft white cheese flecked with tiny bits of green onion tops over it in front of each of us.

Richie ordered the Lobster Meatballs with a dipping sauce of lobster bisque ($15.)  I had to try them, too because here on the Left Coast we rarely eat lobster as the cost is equal to a mortgage payment.  Still on the quest for the Perfect Caesar Salad, I got that, too, and Richie and I split it. ($10)

Sonny ordered a sandwich with grilled chicken, Swiss cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato and honey mustard. ($15)

Richie cleaned his plate.  The Caesar was a little different in that its dressing was more oil and vinegar-y than the usually creamy white.  It was good.       But not perfect. 

The lobster bisque as a "dipping sauce" didn't work all that well -- virtually tasteless (which is extremely difficult to do.)  I could only eat two of the four meatballs on my plate so I asked for a take home box.   I waited with anticipation to see if the waitress would swoon in horror, such is the Gatsby-esque theme of the place.  Sonny got a container, too, such was the filling magnitude of his sandwich. 

We were having a very good time, the men reminiscing about this old bay man or that one.  We swore we were  too full to eat dessert, but a look at the menu suddenly  gave our stomachs a new lease on life.  I ordered a Affogato which is a hollowed out ball of vanilla ice cream which arrived with two small liqueur  glasses - one cappuccino; the other of Amaretta to pour over the ice cream. ($10) Quite tasty. 

Richie had "Swedish" profiteroles ($12)  and the server didn't know why they were "Swedish" so there's another mystery for Oheka Castle. 

Food and drinks came to $118.83 and I tipped $23.  I'd go back as much for the food as well as the ambience.  The tall windows overlook one of the gardens, the sun came streaming through the windows in patches and so we spent two very relaxed hours at the table.

No comments: