Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Slim Pickings for Redondo Voters

Today Redondo Beach residents were sent to the polls to vote on a new mayor, a District 4 City Council member, city attorney or a member of the Board of Education.  Four categories, 11 candidates and one Measure. 

Very little fuss has been made about this election - a spattering of campaign signs around town - but that would seem to be about it. 

In fact this is a nothing election except for Proposition A which has been dividing people left and right.  Essentially, it's a proposal for the City of Redondo to go onto privately-owned corporate grounds,  tear down the equipment and turn the site into a park.   I am absolutely against this.  The people who bought homes there knew for certain they would be living next to it.  It's hardly invisible and it covers a view of the Pacific ocean. .  Now the residents closest to it are whining about it.  "Oooh, it pollutes the air!"  This is unlikely as there is a steady breeze coming in off of the ocean and all of the fresh air anyone could want. 

Let me just step down from this soapbox - someone give me a hand... not as young as I used to be...(ooph)

Richie and I decided to go vote right after the gym and on the way there, I offered a wager on total numbers of voters when we showed up.  He bet "Six" and I bet "Eight."   After signing in, I asked one of the precinct workers and he said, "I'm handing out the 66th ballot" and did so. 

Clearly Proposition A brought them to their feet.  I must admit it's all I voted on, too.  

And lest I be chastised for not voting on the other matters;  in the matter of new members for the Board of Education - we have no children and I had never heard of any of the candidates.  Voting on that would have been the essence of a frivolous vote in my book. There is only one candidate for City Attorney and no write-in space even if I did have a candidate. 

Votes, ideally, must mean something.   

No comments: