Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Putting a Presidential Spin on A Snack Food

Former President, George Bush II, loved a Tex-Mex version of an old classic - Chex Mix.  As it happens about once a yeark I succumb to the desire for a bag of them.  I really love that buttery, salty taste of the cereal that looks like little tiny waffles.  Problem is, I don't want any of the rest of the things in the sack.  This recipe may solve my problem...

TEX-MEX CHEX
1 1/2 cups Corn Chex cereal
 1 1/2 cups Rice Chex  cereal
1 1/2 cups Wheat Chex cereal
1 1/2 cups pepitos
1 cup small thin pretzels
1/2 cup shelled pistachios
1 1/2 T sweet butter, melted and then allowed to cool
1/2 T Yucatan Sunshine or other Mexican hot sauce
1/2 T Tabasco
1 T Worcestershire sauce
pinch of  ground cumin
pinch dried oregano
pinch of garlic powder

Preheat the oven to 250
Combine the chex, pepitos, pretzels and pistachios in a big bowl
In a small bowl put the butter and the rest of the seasonings and mix them well.  Then pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and softly stir them together.    Spread this mixture out carefully in a single layer across a cookie sheet and bake it for 45 minutes, stirring it gently around every 15 minutes.

If I ever actually got up off my derriere and made this, I'd leave out the pepitos, pretzels and pistachios.  It would save me from having to pick them out of the finished product...

No comments: