Monday, October 15, 2012

Grillish. Not Girlish. Or "Girlfish"

Because we often shop at the Riviera Village Trader Joe's, we see Grillish all of the time.  Grillish, 1700 S. Catalina, Redondo Beach   310-316-5800  TheGrillish.com

It's almost next door to the Kinights of Columbus hall where the South Bay New Orleans Jazz Club meets, so yesterday I suggested we get a bite of dinner there.

The musicians quit and the hall is closed at 5 p.m. which is awkwardly early for any kind of real meal.  I was thinking perhaps an appetizer or something equally light.

The dirty gin martini, up, that I had visualized would not be forthcomig.  They serve beer and wine, period.  I had to be content with a flute of Verichon & Clerc champagne ($7.)  And I was.  Richie had a Stella which was brought to the table in the bottle with a short, fat pedestal glass.  I know the champagne was "fresh" - we heard the cork pop in the bar.

I'm not going to be able to describe the interior other than to say a vague impression of European Modern decor because we had been encouraged to dine out on the patio which is a lovely space and roomier than it might look.  I did slither in to wash my hands which is the only reason I can tell you that much. 

Grillish' menu is extensive in an all-over-the-map way.  Check their Web site, I'm just hitting oddities/unusual offerings here.  The appetizers include Fried Green Beans, Meat Balls, a Cheese Plate (eight varieties available) Smoked Salmon Crostini or create your own Crazy Quesadilla from the ingredients on offer.  There are 10 salads and 10 pasta dishes. 

Hamburgers include the Bloody Mary Burger, an 8 oz. patty, grilled onions, avocado, grilled mushrooms finished with a home made Bloody Mary sauce. 

Mains include rack of lamb, grilled Baramundi with a garlic-butter sauce.  They offer grilled trout with picata sauce.  Their take on Pasta Puttanesca uses pine nuts with the chili flakes, garlic, black olives, capers and olive oil.  Pine nuts???

Richie ordered the Plato de Camarones - grilled shrimp finished with a Diablo dipping sauce, cole slaw and your choice of French fries or rice.  He had French fries and dipped every one of them in that sauce.  He brought the cole slaw home for further exploration.

I had the Two Tigers appetizer which turned out to be something I make at home -- melt butter, add Old Bay seasoning, stir, saute the shrimp and serve over toasted baguette slices with lashings of the butter sauce.  Still on my quest for The Perfect Caesar Salad, I ordered that.  It was a huge serving, mostly dark green leaves, not the lighter Romaine green and the dressing was unobtrusive.  Every leaf was coated lightly with it.  However, it was enough for four and cost $10.  I'd really rather have 1/4th that amount at a commensurate cost.

Now we've been there; now my curiosity has been satisfied.  I would still consider Grillish for "real" dinner, just no more bites after the jazz club.

No comments: