Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Temporarily Devastating Shock to My Nervous System

I went flowery with this title, because I knew if I headed it "Holy Shit!" which is what I was actually thinking, I would be reprimanded.  I've been chastised in the past by a loyal reader for using "bad language before small children."  I did not reply that no child reads me; in fact, it would seem that very few adults do either, but that's another matter. 

And today's children may not be what that reader envisioned.  We were at the K9 dog trials and I distinctly heard what must have been a four year old boy say loudly and very solemnly "Oh.  My.  God." which is most certainly not appropriate for that age. 

Oops - 'way off topic here.  Very well, what on earth triggered my gasp of horrified astonishment?  It was the size of this month's credit card bill.  It was so much money that the issuing company used a letter-sized envelope rather than the little one in which the monthly bills usually arrive.  Naturally, I thought it was just advertising.

Incidentally, if you own a credit card company, you can quit sending me blank checks.  Much appreciated, thanks, but please know that I will never use them. 

CardMaster nearly stopped my heart with the information that I now owe them the dollar amount of the entire population of Union, SC.  This is the biggest sum of money that I have ever had any involvement with, ever, and worse still, the bill is correct.  I actually do owe them all of that money.  My truck had an expensive illness, plane and train tickets back  and forth and around in France... by jingoes, it DID all add up. 

Nothing to do but bite the bullet and pay these people.  CardMaster's reaction to an armored truck pulling up outside corporate headquarters and discharging bags and bags and bags of dimes (we used up all of our nickels on the armored truck rental) would be interesting, but I'll have to miss it -- we'll be on the lam in France.

No comments: