Wednesday, May 9, 2012

What I'd Do Is Sue!

"What Would Michelle Do? A Modern-Day Guide to Living with Substance and Style" by Allison Samuels   Gotham Books   276 pages   $24

Samuels wrote a December, 2008, Newsweek cover story entitled "The Meaning of Michelle" and as far as I could tell, that was probably the only personal contact she ever had with Mrs. Obama.  Obama didn't endorse it by writing a little something to thank the author, for one thing. 

Given the prissy, school-marmish tone used throughout the book, understandable.

It;s all iffy stuff and suppositions on the author's part.  Here's from a random page, to give you an example.  "Michelle's volunteer work no doubt influenced her desire to ..."  I did find the direct, attributable quotes interesting.  Here are some to amuse you:

"She has a plan and a list for everything and everybody.  She puts me to shame and I'm the president."  Barack Obama

"I often tease Barack.  He's incredibly smart, and he is very able to deal with a strong woman which is one of the main reasons he can be president because he can deal with me." Michelle Obama

"I have freed myself to put me on the priority list and say, yes, I can make choices that make me happy."  Michelle Obama

"I began to exercise because I realized that my happiness was tied to how I feel about myself."  Michelle Obama.

Two narcissists for the price of one - what a deal!

No comments: