Monday, May 7, 2012

A Very Weird Cover Photo

"Bossypants" by Tina Fey   Little, Brown & Co.   275 pages   $26.99

It's a head shot of Fey looking into the camera.  She is wearing a white, man's shirt and a striped tie.  Her left hand is clasped around her right forearm.  Her right palm is pressed against the side of her face.

What's weird about that? you ask?  It's been Photo Shopped and those hands and forearms belong to a man, a hairy, beefy man. I have no idea what this is supposed to mean - "I'm a man in a woman's body"?  "I'm a woman but I'm as tough as a man"?  Basically, it creeped me out.

The author note on the back flap states "Tina Fey lives in Denver with her ferret, Jacoby."  She does have a sarcastic, reverse irony sense of humor.  She covers a variety of subjects including "Special, Never-Before-Solicited Opinions On Breast-Feeding, the Electoral Process, Italian Rum Cake"

She thoughtfully includes the script for an appearance with Amy Poehler as Hillary Clinton while Fey played Sarah Palin.  In some circles, this would be referred to as "padding."  It's frequently put to use when the writer  can't think of anything to say. 

Frankly I didn't find her bossy at all.  She should have known my 1st grade teacher, Miz Fricke. 

No comments: