Wednesday, April 11, 2012

If the Shoe Fits...Get Up and Dance

Yesterday afternoon, around 5:30, a friend and I were chatting on the phone. He was complaining that anyone can go online and pull up a picture of your house. He was against it. I argued that if you aren't doing anything wrong, why should it matter? I said that I'd seen an aerial shot of our block and if you didn't know what your own backyard looked like, it was just a photo of a bunch of roofs.

He argued that if they can take a picture of your house from space, what else can they take a picture of? And where is the photo filed? I agreed that if a satellite can upload a photo of your license plates surely they can take a picture of your face.

"I don't like it," he said, and changed the subject.

At 7:30 a.m. today I was going through my e-mails and found that two of my high school friends had both sent me the same message - "See the house where you grew up - go to VPIKE.COM and type in the address!" Knowing that that our first house has long been a freeway ramp, I tried the second. It was there and looked to be in fine shape.

On a whim, I typed in our present address and there was our house with Richie's car parked in the driveway. I was instantly furious! Anyone could enhance the license plate and find the car owner and presumably the owner of the house behind it. That's no one's business!

From 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. was all the time it took for retaliation to bite me. Yup, the shoe fits and I'm dancing as fast as I can.

No comments: