Monday, September 27, 2010

Double, Double Onions

I think that if you're going to eat something that's advertised as "onion flavored," you ought to be able to taste the onions!

This minor obsession began when Trader Joe started selling onion-chive spreadable cream cheese. (I think Kraft does one, too.) I thought, "Hmm, with a nice crisp onion bagel, you'd Have Something" so I promptly bought both and enjoyed them immensely. Note to fellow greed hogs -- I keep the bagels in the freezer, pull one out, nuke it in the microwave for one minute, then slice it into THREE slices -- you get more cream cheese this way...

Then, yesterday by the cash out guy, I noticed Onion and Chive Corn crackers ($1.29) with all kinds of stuff in them -- flax, hemp, poppy, black and white sesame seeds -- and since I still have half a carton of onion-chive cream cheese, bought a box.

The crackers' texture is vaguely Frito-ish but the onion-chive flavor is definitely there. Good texture and they don't shatter when they hit the cream cheese. I'm enjoying them, but mark my words -- next time I go to buy a box, the price will have skittered up -- $2.25 would be my best guess. Trader Joe has a habit of doing that -- Sicilian olives -- 99 cents a can; next time I looked they were $2.99 a can!

Cream cheese -- 2 T = 100 calories
Onion-Chive Corn crackers -- 16 crackers = 140 calories.
If you want to be really healthy, make your own onion-chive cream cheese, but buy the spreadable cream cheese -- it's easier to work with and you don't have to add a dash of milk to it to make it "spreadable."

No comments: