Friday, June 25, 2010

Dissecting Poetry or The Way It Should Be Printed

I really think I'd like poetry better if it were written in the form I'm accustomed to seeing -- full sentences, with commas and periods. This must be 8 lines is confusing when it need not be. So for our edification, here is the way Lord George Gordon Byron's poem should have been written for maximum understanding.

When We Two Parted
When we two parted in silence and tears, half broken-hearted to sever for years.
Pale grew thy cheek and cold, colder thy kiss.
Truly, that hour foretold sorrow to this.

The dew of the morning sunk chill on my brow.
It felt like the warning of what I feel now.
Thy vows are all broken and light is thy fame; I hear thy name spoken and share in its shame.

They name thee before me, a knell to mine ear -- a shudder comes o'er me...Why wert thou so dear?
They know not I knew thee, who knew thee so well -- long, long I shall rue thee too deeply to tell.

In secret we met - in silence I grieve that thy heart could forget, thy spirit deceive.
If I should meet thee, after long years, how should I greet thee?
With silence and tears.

NOTE: This lovely poem should not be attributed to the feelings of John Edwards and Rielle Hunter nor Eliot Spitzer and his squeeze. Or their wives for that matter.

#575! Champagne all around!

No comments: