Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Find!

"My Favorite Place on Earth" compiled by Jerry Camarillo Dunn, Jr. for National Geographic magazine 271 pages $22.95

This really is a fascinating book -- I may not have heard of the some of the 75 celebrities who were consulted for it, but those that I recognize have made some amazing choices.

Two of them said, "My house" (Clive Cussler and skateboarder Tony Hawk who built his own skating rink behind it.) Isaac Mizrahi said "My garage." Loretta Lynn's choice - Hurricane Mills, TN - is in fact her house. Naturally old blowhard Donald Trump had to brag about his Mar-A-Lago -- "All of the best parties are held here" (sniff.) Genius IQ Marilyn Vos Savant (her last name translates to "your teacher" but you have to say it smugly) likes Paris as does writer Ray Bradbury.

There are destinations I've never heard of -- Wild Dog Research Camp, Okavango Delta, Botswana would probably be the farthest from my imagination. Some oddities -- Suze Orman likes "a bench at Crissy Field, San Francisco," comedian Jeff Foxworthy loves Camp Sunshine, Decatur, GA, for cancer-stricken kids.

Clearly, I'm fascinated and recommend this book. Color photos accompany the words about these destinations. If I were asked this question, I couldn't answer any better than the very vague "France, Mexico, Ireland and our house." Sad that. I need to get out more!

No comments: