Friday, December 18, 2009

A Christmas Surprise

'Tis the season ... to feel sorry for the mail person. But I do love the cards, letters and photos. Yesterday we got what I thought was a card from Sue, who lives near chicago. We've been friends since kindergarten so I was anxious to see what she had to say.

First surprise -- it wasn't a card, it was a cookie recipe! She stuck a Post-It on it that said, "No, Nina -- my cards are not done ... I'm still baking cookies!"

She sent it to Richie! She knows I can't bake worth a damn!

PISTACHIO COOKIES
Sift together and set aside:
2 cups flour
1/2 teas. salt
1 1/2 teas. baking powder

Cream together until light and fluffy:
2/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teas. vanilla
1/2 teas. almond extract

Add the dry ingredients and blend.

Take one cup of mix out of the bowl and add three drops of green food coloring to it.
Add 1/2 cup diced pistachio meat. Form it into a 10 in. long roll and chill for 15-20 minutes.

Go back to the cup of white dough and form it into a 10 X 4 rectangle; chill.

Wrap the white dough around the green "tube" of dough and slice the cookies 1/8 in. thick. Put them on an ungreased cookie sheet, giving each about 3 in. of space. Bake at 375 for 8 - 10 minutes.

Note to lazy readers like myself: Trader Joe sells bags of pistachio meat. Shelling them, then dicing them... more work than I want to do! Or, rather, have Richie do! I. Don't. Bake.

No comments: