Saturday, October 17, 2009

Learning the Hard Way

Pretty much my style anyhow (sigh.) I've had a "bad back" for quite some time now, but it has been in abeyance due to the exercises I do a.m. and p.m.

What triggered this episode is that I remembered to take a lumbar pillow in the car for the drive to Las Vegas. But forgot to recline the seat back...

Yesterday afternoon, I was carrying a pair of liter bottles of Coke upsairs. One in each hand meant I couldn't use the railing. On the second step, my left knee folded and down I went! I'm floundering (think Keystone Kops) and finally drop the bottles, twist in the air to land on my palms on the hall floor. Didn't get all the way over in time, hit the throw rug and surfed it right into the wall where the baseboard cut my head.

The cats fled to Under The Bed. Richie came flying, I'd gotten up on all fours. All I'm concentrating on is getting the rest of the way back up. Richie sayd, "Uh, your face has blood on it -- and so does your hair..." The hall floor looked like an abattoir. Got up, got down the hall to the bathroom and glanced into the mirror. Egad! He was right about that!

Wet paper towels, pressure and it abated. Since I can't see the outside top of my head, Richie took a digital picture for me.

You will never believe this. Blood all over the place, right? From a quarter inch cut! When you're next told that "Head wounds bleed the most" -- believe it!

My only regret is that it wasn't Halloween night -- We could have given those kids more than their money's worth in fright!

No comments: