Sunday, April 19, 2009

Paging Richie Murphy!

Our last errand stop yesterday was the supermarket. As usual, Richie got the old plastic bags out of the back of the car to be re-cycled, grabbed a cart left selfishly in the parking lot and began to saunter into the store. Richie never hurries.

'Way ahead of him, I scurried around the store, getting a bag of small corn tortillas, another bag of big flour tortillas, a bottle of jalapeno peppers and two boxes of taco shells. I'm carrying all of this stuff haphazardly, looking for him -- and the cart.

I ran into Kermit the butcher who was stacking trays of meat in the counters that run along next to the seafood case. We grinned and chatted. Kermit looked at my arms full of stuff and said, "Isn't he here with you today?"

"Yeah, he is -- somewhere in here!" irritatedly. Kermit grinned and said, "Let me page him -- what's his full name?" I think this is hilarious; I'd love to see his face when (wherever he is) he hears, "Richie Murphy, to Seafood, please."

A guy in produce which is on the other side of seafood asked Kermit, "What'chu doing?" and I said, "New employee -- he's the mop man! Keep him busy!" and the guy grinned admiringly and said, "Ole Kermit; he always up to something!"

It took a second page, but finally here came Richie. He saw Kermit and me laughing and started laughing, too. "I was so surprised to hear my name..." he said.

I thanked Kermit profusely and put all my stuff in Richie's cart. Kermit may have made a mistake -- now I know that when Richie gets lost (frequent occurence) I can get him back without haring all through the store, cursing like a maniac, looking for him.

No comments: