Saturday, May 25, 2019

BBQ Sauce Under My Fingernails

Last Wednesday it was our monthly dinner and Mouton had chosen the place this time.  It was his turn.  He chose The Rib Company, 5800 E. 2nd Street, Long Beach (ribcompany.com)  There is a sister spot in Newport.

The Long Beach Rib Company presents a cozy exterior with a grey barn siding-looking façade with a couple of benches for anyone waiting for a table (or sneaking a quick cigarette.)

The extensive menu indicates that this isn't Uncle Reubens side of the road smoke joint and bbq, County Line Road, Open Weekends Only, with  a dusty parking lot and beat-up looking picnic benches under a shade tree.

Our drink order was promptly taken by "our" server to be and we had:  Mouton and Dee - glasses of wine, Richie a draft beer and me  split of sparkling prosecco.  For an appetizer, we ordered a half loaf brick of onions which arrived with a cunning little "silver" sauce pitcher filled with their bbq sauce (sweet and good).  We went through that like a bunch of starving farm workers after a long day threshing.  The only things left on the serving platter were some beat-up looking lettuce leaves (brick heat killed it; not us.)

Theirs is a typical bbq menu with Sandwiches, Burgers and the ubiquitous Ribs.  I don't often see this, so I was impressed:  full rack $29.99 for 12/13 ribs; 3/4 rack (!)  with  9 or 10 bones
 for $26.99; half rack $24.99 for 6 or 7 bones.

This is a touch that I genuinely appreciate.  Under the heading Senior/Smaller Sizes, the lead dish is Sr. baby back ribs (4) with one side $19.99.  Not for the price particularly, but for the recognition that older people very often have smaller appetites.  And after I had eaten my share of the onion brick, it was inconceivable that I could plow through 12 or 13 ribs.  At that I only managed one and one-half ribs.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Vegetables and Mashed Sweet Potatoes among the more traditional offerings (fries, cole slaw, beans) were a surprise.  And so was the potato salad I ordered as mine.  They were dry-ish and tasted like boiled potatoes.  Just boiled potatoes.  I took mine home, dressed it up with chopped red onion, pickle relish and mayonnaise and it was then a respectable dish.

They do offer seafood and I would go back solely for the Hawaiian-style Shrimp Kabob with vegetables for $25.99.

Meanwhile, I finally got the sauce out from under my nails and am off to other adventures. They did give each of us a full-sized hot washcloth at the end of the meal (aping 1st on a plane?) and we availed ourselves of them with gusto.



 

No comments: