Sunday, October 21, 2018

One Potato, Two Potato, Three Potato, Four......

I was idly thumbing through a cookbook fetchingly titled "Chef Bubba and Friends" published by Walmart. when I came across this strange (to me) recipe.  Quite possibly it was a Depression money spinner.

FLOUR FROSTING
5 T flour
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter or margarine
1 teas. vanilla

Cook flour and water to make paste.  (This is essentially white gravy)  Set the pan in cold water.  In a separate bowl beat the sugar, and butter together until fluffy.  Add in the vanilla and flour paste and beat it some more.  Apply to your cake.

An old friend from Oklahoma, Lucille gave me a taste and the recipe for

POTATO CANDY  She called it Potato Fudge.  There is no chocolate in it so I guess "fudge" refers to texture and the finished squares of candy.

1/4 cup mashed potatoes
2 T milk
1 teas. vanilla
dash of sea salt
1 whole box of powdered sugar.  That ought to sweeten'er up!

Mix up together and put it in a buttered square pan, cut squares and enjoy.  I couldn't, but I complimented Lucille on it anyhow.  Another trick is to roll your batter out, "butter" it with peanut butter, roll it up like a jelly roll and then cut discs of it.  

I tell you, I've seen a number of Depression-era recipes and they had it a whole lot worse than this generation could have imagined.

No comments: