Wednesday, December 27, 2017

January 1, 2018 and California Goes Dopey

Many of you may have noticed that as of January 1, 2018, recreational use (translation: getting stoned) is legal.  This is a matter of no interest whatsoever to me as I got royally ripped off the only time I was a dope dealer.  Put down the phone, the cops aren't interested in a then-crime in the late '60s/early 70s.

I was working with Lord Tim Hudson of his Brompton Productions.  Among others, Timmie represented The Seeds whose most notable feat was going to #30 on the Billboard ranking.
("Pushin' Too Hard")

I forget how I ended up with a nickel bag, but I had and the guy who lived upstairs volunteered to buy it.  The band (who probably left it with me because they had to fly somewhere) had authorized me to sell it for $5.  Not a penny more, not a penny less.

The customer argued about the $5 price tag.  I was adamant.  He demanded "a taste" - common in those days due to a shortage of dope and over supply of oregano.  He grumbled, but he paid me and pounded up the stairs to his lair above me.

A day later, he was at my front door, demanding his $5 back.  "That was shit; I want my money back!"  He was so intimidating and I was so scared of the very long arm of the law that I gave him his $5 back.  A first offense carried a $500 fine and one to 10 years in prison.

Of course, he sensed my inexperience.  Of course, he knew I'd fold.   Of course, he had a free nickel bag and a good laugh at me.  And the biggest irony was that I didn't smoke dope; didn't like it and never touched it after the first and only time I ever tried it.  I didn't enjoy lying on the living room floor, losing myself in the 80 megawatt music (dogs were howling as far away as a half block), only stirring get up and to eat something else in the kitchen.

But speaking of eating and marijuana inhalation, this news from Jack in the Box who are promoting their brand new, go with the public's desires, Merry Munchies Meals!

The Merry Munchies Meal consists of:
a half-order of curly fries; a half-order of onion rings, two tacos (beef, chicken or cheese not addressed,) five mini-churros, three chicken strips and a small soft drink.

All of this largesse for $4.20 which is ever-so-cutely the number of the bill that passed to legalize marijuana.

Which,  P.S., was treated like a drug in the mid-'30s in 35 States and was perfectly respectable.  Or so I read in Wikipedia.

No comments: