Saturday, November 25, 2017

1990

Richie's continued excavations turned up my 1990 Calendar.   Highlights ...

April - we embarked on a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise to celebrate my 50th birthday.  I was disappointed to have missed out on the escargot soup, but cheered by a one-on-one interview with the chef.  He gave me an autographed cook book of dishes served on the Carnival something-or-other.  To this day, I have never made any of them.

May - four days in New Orleans, no reason given.  We would go back as we loved being there.  It was our Favorite North American City and in years to come, we made probably 10 or 12 visits.  Until Katrina.  Put Paid to NO. 

June - Began working as a waitress at the Mermaid, Hermosa Beach.  Thurs. the 21st - tips $17, bus $5, salary $25.50; grand total $37.50

August - my mother-in-law died and when I asked my boss for time off to fly to Long Island for the funeral,  he said, "Take all the time you want - you're fired."  So endeth my career as a waitress.  (In 1990 we weren't called "servers" yet.)

I smiled as I read the entries spelling out dinner with this person or that or various couples.  Road trips to Las Vegas, Barstow, Pomona - still working as  racing freelance photojournalist.    I remembered those people well and it was pleasant to think about them and Olden Times. 

If one of your old calendars turns up, take a moment, sit down and leaf through it.  Few things can give you a better idea of where you were and what you were doing.  I recommend it!

It has been a long time since we went to New Orleans though ... hmmm...

No comments: