Friday, March 18, 2016

When the Title is Damned Near As Long As the Book

"Before I Forget - Love, Hope, Help, and Acceptance in Our Fight Against Alzheimer's" by B. Smith and Dan Gasby with Michael Shnayerson,  Foreward by Rudolph E. Tanzi, Ph.D
Harmony Books   319 pages   $25

B. Smith, 66 of Long Island, is a former model, restaurateur, lifestyle guru, author and celebrity chef who was diagnosed as having Alzheimer's in 2012.

She and her husband Dan Gasby have been married for 23 years. 

The book, written largely by the husband, is a running account of B's losses, medical information (every 67 seconds, someone is diagnosed with it, but whether this is US-only or worldwide was not stated) helpful ideas for primary care givers - "Be patient"  "Divert to a new subject or outing" as well as progress (slim) and the need for funding research  rather than money for diabetes, cardiac problems and cancer.    

I read it for the help tips.  Here was a statistic that amused me - if you live to be 85, half of you and your fellow 85-ers will develop Alzheimer's.  I myself will be 85 in 10 years time and we'll see if I'm laughing then ...

Based on what I have read in this and other books, the biggest jimp for a caregiver is this:  the afflicted person looks the same.  Because they don't look "different" one tends to forget that they are now very different indeed.  That, I think, is the biggest and most difficult hurdle to overcome.   

It was an interesting read.

No comments: