Monday, June 1, 2015

Mourning the Thud of Horses Galloping

Hollywood Park Race Track's stands are gone.  They were imploded at 6 a.m. the other morning.  But the track did have something of a run from 1938 when it was built to 2013 when it closed.  They only got around to final destruction today.

I haven't been there since the '70s and '80s so I really shouldn't be donning my black crepe.  Some nerve, eh?

But I do have only pleasant memories of attending.  In the '70s, I was buddies with a guy named Van, who was the advertising VP for Vogue magazine.  He, in turn, was tight with a bunch that referred to themselves as "degenerate gamblers," a group of about eight guys.  Among them was the actor who portrayed Dr. Ben Casey (the only "famous" one of the bunch. 

We all hooked up on the Clubhouse level.  The guys (I was the only woman present) all made fun of my traditional bed - $2 to Place - but when I began winning (paltry sums to be sure) they began to sidle over and ask what I thought about the next race.  Meanwhile, they were betting $100 a pop or more.   They were fond of trifectas, etc. all of which confounded me. 

I learned an interesting thing - degenerate gamblers don't have checking accounts.  They put their money in safe deposit boxes and visit on an as-needed basis. 

I also learned a sad fact - it was not unusual for one of them to get mugged.  Canny robbers only had to keep an observant eye on the $50 and $100 windows. 

We often went to Chez Jay, Santa Monica, for dinner - the day's big winner bought - and it became a satellite clubhouse.

They were good days and upon reflection, I can miss them.  RIP Hollywood Race Track.

No comments: