Monday, October 27, 2014

Richie Conquers Broccoli

In 1990, George H. W. Bush famously declared that he didn't like broccoli as a kid and he doesn't like it now and, as President, never wants to ever eat another bite of it.   Fairly straight-forward speech for a President.

There are a number of us who feel the same way.  In season, I will eat it (sparingly) but I have to give it some flavor with soy sauce or oyster sauce; Tabasco doesn't work all that well. 

Richie found a recipe (Food and Wine) and made it night before last.  It was so good that I made it last night and we ate it again.  However... mine wasn't as good as his because I changed the method.

FLASH-ROASTED BROCCOLI WITH SPICY CRUMBS.
1 or 2 lbs. broccoli, trimmed into spears
1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
olive oil
2 oz. pepperoni or salami
1 clove garlic, sliced
2 T Dijon mustard

Rub the broccoli with olive oil and broil it till it is lightly burned in spots. 

Mix the panko, garlic and meat together and pulse it a Cuisinart.

Run one edge of the broccoli through the Dijon and then drag it through the panko crumbs mixture.

Store leftover crumbs (if any) in a container and use it for garnish for something else. 

When I made it, I chopped the broccoli and sautéed it in olive oil, having added the mustard to the olive oil.  Then I  added a tiny bit of water and slammed the lid on the pot to steam it.  And then I dusted it with Richie's leftover crumbs. It wasn't nearly as nice as Richie's.

Roasting the broccoli really works out better.  My bad. 

No comments: